Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Fun With Words or, Just Not Very Vigilant

Today, my supervisor was out of the office [full disclosure: SHE HAS CHICKENPOX! I know. And we were all like, "Have you had them before?" and she was like, "YES I HAVE HAD THEM BEFORE" and we were like, "Oh shit. Maybe it's shingles?" and she was like, "THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT BUT THE DOCTOR SAID IT WAS NOT SHINGLES, THAT IT IS JUST CHICKENPOX AGAIN." Which made me wonder if everything I've ever learned about contagious diseases is maybe a lie.] and we have a very high-tech "In/Out Board" on our staff login page which is supposed to be like a kind of time clock, but is really more of just a lame, work-only second-rate Twitter [people post Olympic medal counts and things about Humpday]. Anyway - they throw it up on there if someone is going to be out of the office or is sick or is on vacation or whatever, just because knowledge is power, I guess. And today, next to my supervisor's name, it said:

sic 3/3

Which is funny, because what does that mean? Like, while it might seem like a mistake, she is actually out? Does someone else in this office care about "[sic]" as much as I care [and this guy cares] about "[sic]"? [full disclosure: I have maybe written "[sic] 'em, boys" in a margin once] Unfortunately, I think, the answer is no. Someone in my office just cares about their job as little as I care about mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment